One of the motivations for pouring myself into Maldives Complete is that when we do visit, we feel more like members of the community than just passing visitors. Another special touch by Amilla Maldives to make all guests feel that way the moment they step onto the island are their personalised “license plates” on the buggies to their rooms. This extra personal gesture has inspired me to add a new tag for “Customisation”.
Best of the Maldives: 24 Hour AI Bar – Siyam World
It’s not just location that has become flexible in the digital age, but time. People bemoan the 24×7 always-on culture of today’s high-powered business, but the problem is not the “24×7” part, but the “always-on” part. And it doesn’t have to be work that’s available 24-7. Siyam World offers a 24-hour bar Kulhivaru sports bar as a part of its all-inclusive package:
- “KulhiVaru for live sports, cask beers, bar bites and great company. All major national and international games are broadcasted, meaning you’ll stay up to date with all the latest scores.”
Especially great for catching those football matches being played back home in a different time zone.
Best of the Maldives: Wellness Concierge – Waldorf Astoria Ithaafushi
One of Maldives Complete’s initial objectives was to help people sort through the myriad resort options. Options which have only expanded with the resort growth and the profusion of diverse room types. It’s almost like Maldives Complete is a “resort concierge” (or “room concierge”). When we first started visiting the destination in the 90s, spas were an anomaly, but now they are standard fare. And spas at the luxury properties have as many bewildering choice of treatments as the Maldives has resorts. So Waldorf Astoria Ithaafushi has introduced its own “Wellness Concierge”:
- “Aqua Wellness Centre, featuring a brand-new Hydrotherapy Pool, Maldives first-ever wellness concierge as well as unique spa treatments, all surrounded by a lush botanical garden facing the Indian Ocean. The brand new 7,735 square-foot elaborate Aqua Wellness Centre features a custom-built Hydrotherapy Pool, ice fountain, steam room and sauna. Set atop the crystal Maldivian waters, the 2,906 square-foot outdoor pool is designed in zones, where each station of the pool targets a different part of the body. The zones – which include jet bath, air jets, shower jets, and massage lounger.”
Best of the Maldives: Pool Lunch – Kandima
Floating breakfasts have gone from being never seen before to don’t miss. But what if you are not a big breakfast person (or just like a particularly leisurely lie-in on holiday)? Well, Kandima has introduced the floating lunch. Now that’s a “liquid lunch”!
Best of the Maldives: CIP Arrival – Nautilus
The Nautilus is the only resort to offer all guests a “CIP” (Commercially Important Person) arrival provide welcoming right at their parked private chartered jet or international commercial flight at Male airport. These guests also get to relax in the VIP lounge while immigration and baggage are organised avoiding the queues at the immigration hall.
Best of the Maldives: Biggest Pool Breakfast – Brennia Kottefaru
“We’re gunna need a bigger boat!” – Martin Brody
No, not for thing eating you in the water…for you eating things in the water. And Brennia Kottefaru has delivered with the biggest boatload of breakfast we have seen. (thanks Ibrahim)
Best of the Maldives: Pool Ice Lollies – Dhigali
All you trick-or-treaters out there are having to trudge door to door to get your sweeties today, but at Dhigali the pool attendant comes by your lounge chair regularly throughout the day to deliver sweet ice lollies to each guest. No need for fancy dress as your swimming costume will be just fine.
Best of the Maldives: 24 Hour – Hurawalhi
Best of the Maldives: Comfort Menu – One & Only Reethi Rah
One & Only Reethi Rah’s “Comfort Menu” offers up a selection of treats for floating in the comfort of your own villa – “Individually chosen ESPA bath oils, mineral sea salts and petals envelop the body as candles bath the room in a soft relaxing light.”
You have a choices of several variations including:
- “Essential oils of the West Indian Bay and Clove” served with Hot cinnamon tea
- “English Peppermint and Rosemary” served with a refreshing ice cold Earl Grey tea with Rosemary and Citrus
- “Frankinceance and Ylang-Ylang served with a hot herbal tea of Rosehip and Hibiscus
Calgon take me away…to paradise.
Best of the Maldives: Postcard Service – One & Only Reethi Rah
One of my pet peeves when I visit a resort is if they don’t have postcards that show the resort. Postcards might seem a bit of a throwback, but we still send them to family who enjoy getting a real thing from our worldwide destinations. Aside from simply finding a good card of where you are, you can also run into a bit of kafuffle finding stamps and even a box to post them in (though all resorts will take them and post them), One & Only Reethi Rah does it all for you they provide fine postcards of the resort for you in your room *and* once you write them, they wil stamp and post them for you. Wish I was there!