Another resort featuring Oevaali’s work is Coco Prive who have commissioned an exclusive silk-screened scarf for their guests. So exclusive, thst Oevaali won’t release any more than a peek of what the scarf’s artistic design is (see above).
If you are looking for a pink accessory for October (Breast Cancer Awareness Month), then one of the most enchanting examples of Maldives themes jewellery I come across is Kuredu’s collection of Oevaali. The manta above swirls as gracefully as its aquatic inspiration. Oevaali are a local Maldivian artist studio who do painting as well (see bottom).
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month with celebrations and initiatives festooned with the signature pink of the cause. Today in particular is “No Bra Day” declared as an occasion to raise awareness. And with the Maldives fashionistas, the brassieres are often replaced with bikini tops throughout the year. Here is a daily dose of pink for the month:
- Milana Koroleva and Koroleva Daria (Russia) – Conrad Rangali [ABOVE]
- Noey Jam Piglet (Thailand) – NIYAMA
- Sonia Pookie (USA) – Soneva Jani
- Isabel Brown – LUX South Ari Atoll
- Julia Chetverikova (Russia) – Coco Palm Bodu Hithi
- Olga Michelle (Russia) – One & Only Reethi Rah
- Bebe Elle (United Kingdom) – Furaveri
- Olga Apanasenko (Russia) – Kandima
- Rebecca Ferguson (United Kingdom) – Hurawalhi
- Diana Melison (Russia) – You & Me
- Florina Toma (Romania) – Raffles Meradhoo
- Naomi-Jane Adams (United Kingdom) – Conrad Rangali
- Anyuta Rai (Russia) – LUX South Ari Atoll
- Ana Jovanovic (Czech) – Sun Island
- Lola Golik (Israel) – Sun Island
- Tatiana V. Lyalina (Russia) – Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Tina Shirokaya (Russia)
- Nelli Chernova (Russia) – Irufushi
- Lily (Philippines)
- Liza Stahova (Russia) – Ayada
- Olesya Levchik (Ukraine) – The Residence
- Nur Fazura (Malaysia) – Milaidhoo
- Debbie Grace (United Kingdom) – W Maldives
- Juliana Bonde (Brazil) – Kandima
- Karri Nicholas (Australia) – Club Med Finolhu Villas
- Nelli Chernova (Russia) – Irufushi
- Sandra Traczyk (Poland) – Lily Beach
- Marya Zikeeva (Russia) – Alimatha
- Tori Son (Russia) – Ranveli
- Aysel Manafova (Azerbaijani) – One & Only Reethi Rah
- Arisha Gz (Russia) – Sun Siyam Irufushi
Traditionally, groynes (artificial promontories built to inhibit erosion by disrupting the currents which wash away the island) have been quite crude functional affairs, but in recent years resorts have been turning eye sores to sights for sore eyes with an array of décor and uses. Four Seasons Kuda Huraa’s pool featured in Instagrammer Miss Angie Villa’s post is so similar to one in design, that I think it sets the blueprint for someone converting a proper groyne into this design.
International Coffee Day. And really who else could we feature but those boss baristas at LUX (this is the 6th “Best of the Maldives” recognition for LUX just in the area of “coffee”?
This time a shout out to their Coffee Cafe. Take-away coffee from 6:00 am through 10:30 am. This is just perfect for me. I often get up early for the quiet morning time to catch up on some email and web surfing. I like to leave the villa because my shuffling around can disturb Lori who likes to savour her opportunity for a lie-in. But I do want a coffee as soon as I get up. I’d rather not go into a restaurant, but just find some quiet corner of the island to stretch out on. LUX North Male Atoll was about the first island I could easily do this with their take-away service. Also, the more insulate, tall thermal cup keep the coffee hotter than a conventional ceramic cup (and the serving is larger too).
And extra bonus, the café offers 4 types of sweetener (see photo below). If this seems like a trivial detail, then you are not a sweet tooth aficionado like me.