For the largest islands, one has two options: (a) motorised buggy, or (b) pedal bike. LUX South Ari Atoll offers motorised bikes. Electric so you are not going to get gangs of rumbling bikers tearing down your villa path. For hire at £50/day
I caught up with him and he shared a bit about his background:
- “I have started room decorations as I began my career as a villa Attendant. Since then I have learned and improving my skills. I’m a self taught decorative. During this journey of a villa Attendant, I have met many creative colleagues in room decorating. I get ideas from my friends and through the internet. Mostly I love doing different types of leaf decorations. Room decoration is an important element of Housekeeping service, to demonstrate my skills and give our guests a little gesture of that we care them.”
His Instagram feed is the most diverse collection of works and I highly recommend following him for your own daily dose of decorating.
All of the world has its eye on the “path to the White House” this week, but Waheed Saamid, room decorator extraordinaire is focused on the path to your villa. I thought that I had seen all the variations on custom room decorating – towels, flowers, bed, coral pieces, bath. When I came across his Instagram feed, I saw sterling examples of all of those. But I was also struck by his innovating thinking outside the box of the villa itself with his walkway decoration made of artistically sprinkled sand.
Soneva Fushi has pioneered the design style of Swiss Family Robinson chic in the Maldives, but perhaps the acme of this arboreal aesthetic is its Villa 37. While the rough trunks are standard elements throughout Soneva, Villa 37 take the timber to a new dimension with a tapestry of cross sections forming the ceiling and various highlights.
Resorts have a tradition of bestowing welcome gifts to their arriving guests. While many are branded tat pulled from the hospitality bumph catalogue, some properties have made an effort to present more distinctive mementos. As a fan of the art of palm folding, so I was particularly enchanted by the origami palm fish that LUX North Male Atoll presents to kids on arrival.
For many maps are quite practical items, but I’ve always been captivated by their aesthetics. Capturing a sliver of the world in a useful snapshot from a birds eye view. No surprise that the art immersion resort of Joali even turned their creative eye to a map of their art collection. How apropos that the map of art installations be a work of art itself.
If you are looking for a pink accessory for October (Breast Cancer Awareness Month), then one of the most enchanting examples of Maldives themes jewellery I come across is Kuredu’s collection of Oevaali. The manta above swirls as gracefully as its aquatic inspiration. Oevaali are a local Maldivian artist studio who do painting as well (see bottom).
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month with celebrations and initiatives festooned with the signature pink of the cause. Today in particular is “No Bra Day” declared as an occasion to raise awareness. And with the Maldives fashionistas, the brassieres are often replaced with bikini tops throughout the year. Here is a daily dose of pink for the month:
- Milana Koroleva and Koroleva Daria (Russia) – Conrad Rangali [ABOVE]
- Noey Jam Piglet (Thailand) – NIYAMA
- Sonia Pookie (USA) – Soneva Jani
- Isabel Brown – LUX South Ari Atoll
- Julia Chetverikova (Russia) – Coco Palm Bodu Hithi
- Olga Michelle (Russia) – One & Only Reethi Rah
- Bebe Elle (United Kingdom) – Furaveri
- Olga Apanasenko (Russia) – Kandima
- Rebecca Ferguson (United Kingdom) – Hurawalhi
- Diana Melison (Russia) – You & Me
- Florina Toma (Romania) – Raffles Meradhoo
- Naomi-Jane Adams (United Kingdom) – Conrad Rangali
- Anyuta Rai (Russia) – LUX South Ari Atoll
- Ana Jovanovic (Czech) – Sun Island
- Lola Golik (Israel) – Sun Island
- Tatiana V. Lyalina (Russia) – Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Tina Shirokaya (Russia)
- Nelli Chernova (Russia) – Irufushi
- Lily (Philippines)
- Liza Stahova (Russia) – Ayada
- Olesya Levchik (Ukraine) – The Residence
- Nur Fazura (Malaysia) – Milaidhoo
- Debbie Grace (United Kingdom) – W Maldives
- Juliana Bonde (Brazil) – Kandima
- Karri Nicholas (Australia) – Club Med Finolhu Villas
- Nelli Chernova (Russia) – Irufushi
- Sandra Traczyk (Poland) – Lily Beach
- Marya Zikeeva (Russia) – Alimatha
- Tori Son (Russia) – Ranveli
- Aysel Manafova (Azerbaijani) – One & Only Reethi Rah
- Arisha Gz (Russia) – Sun Siyam Irufushi