With all of the glitzy bling scattered around the Maldives like toddlers throwing tinsel on a Christmas tree, some of the old school décor with retro charm stand out even more distinctively. One example is Rihiveli extensive oil on wood paintings. The reception features one of the most handsome island maps I have seen, and I love the little vexillological (word of the day for you) retrospective.
When I first started the “Best of the Maldives” series on Maldives Complete nearly a decade ago (very nearly!), I wanted to find and call out some of the truly distinctive touches that resorts had. I didn’t want to (re)write the same glossy article about palm trees and pina coladas that every celebrity comp article writes. When I spoke with folks about this angle, I often used the “clothes hanger” example citing Gili Lankanfushi’s unique bamboo ones which provided a subtle touch of natural materials used in a stylish way. Now Joali has introduced its own creative hangers with “feel good” messages inscribed on each of them (thanks Paola). Who knew when I started focusing on such attentive details that not only would I end up writing about “clothes hangers”, but would write about multiple variations on just that item?
I wonder if one says “My bum does not look big in this.”
If you are shopping for something more comfortable to slip into, then you might be catching the infamous Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show being broadcast tonight. Alternatively, here is the Maldives Complete Secret Fashion Show with the visiting fashionistas lounging in their favourite lingerie…
- Lorena Rae (Germany) – Palm Beach [ABOVE]
- Nicoletta Reggio (Italy) – Kuramathi
- Mariya Revkovskaya (Russia) – Six Senses Laamu
- Polly Kole (Russia) – Millaidhoo
- Natalie (Russia) – Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru
- Veronika Kotova (Russia) – One & Only Reethi Rah
- Vlada Yakushevskaya (Russia) – Four Seasons
- Maria (Thailand) – Veligandu
- Anastasia Barashkova (Russia) – Constance 9alaveli
- Katie Price (United Kingdom) – Kandima
- Belle Lucia (Australia) – LUX South Ari Atoll
- Maria Martelo Perez (Columbia) – One & Only Reethi Rah
- A. Liss (Russia) – Baros
- Maria Glass (Russia) – Four Seasons Landaa Giravaaru
One & Only Reethi Rah’s “Comfort Menu” offers up a selection of treats for floating in the comfort of your own villa – “Individually chosen ESPA bath oils, mineral sea salts and petals envelop the body as candles bath the room in a soft relaxing light.”
You have a choices of several variations including:
- “Essential oils of the West Indian Bay and Clove” served with Hot cinnamon tea
- “English Peppermint and Rosemary” served with a refreshing ice cold Earl Grey tea with Rosemary and Citrus
- “Frankinceance and Ylang-Ylang served with a hot herbal tea of Rosehip and Hibiscus
Calgon take me away…to paradise.
- “Coco Bodu Hithi has teamed up with Sunnylife, the Australian company that has become one of the world’s leading summer lifestyle brands, to introduce the world’s first Pool Floats Menu. Featuring an eclectic selection of Sunnylife’s colourful, whimsical, and stylish inflatable swimming pool floats, this unique menu is sure to be a hit with everyone, from young ones to those young at heart. Martin Lount, General Manager at Coco Bodu Hithi said “We’re extremely excited to be working with Sunnylife to kick off our summer pool floats programme and offer this one-of-a-kind menu experience. Our guests love to share pictures of their holiday with friends on social media, and with over 12 different styles on offer from our pool floats menu, we’re excited to see what they’ll be posting online!”
Black Friday today is the annual carnival of commercialism. The day after American Thanksgiving when all the families get together (“homecoming”) and have a Friday day off so they all go to the mall to get a jump on their Christmas shopping. For float aficionados, I had already added today’s feature to the resort Santa list. And now one lucky resort – Rihiveli Dream – finally features it. In fact, the whale shark float was the bequest of Maldives Complete and field correspondent Isley Lynn who stayed their this summer as a part of the artist-in-residence posting. Best Maldives Float Ever.
Thanksgiving Day and time for the annual float parade. Not just down Manhattan’s Central Park West for the Macy’s extravaganza, but here on Maldives Complete with the latest from the fashionista pneumatics. This year is a special comprehensive catalogue of every float found in Maldives photoshoots so far.
Ammy (Poland) – LUX South Ari Atoll – Avacado
Karina Volodina (Russia) – Sun Island – French Fries
Yulia Schastlivaya (Russia) – One & Only Reethi Rah – Popsicle
Pruno Dasha (Russia) – Dhigali – Watermelon
Ekaterina Bezborodko (Russia) – Holiday Island – Donut
Alexandra Pereira (Spain) – Constance Halaveli – Pretzel
Camilla Vendrame Tognetti (USA) – NIYAMA – Pizza
Irina Cerutti (Switzerland) – Cheval Blanc Randheli – Black Swan
Marcia Garcia (Italy) – Anantara Dhigu – Peacock
Yulia Schastlivaya (Russia) – Huvafenfushi – Exotic Bird
Daniela Andreotti (Italy) One & Only Reethi Rah – Turtle
Victoria Demidova (Russia) – Club Med Finolhu Villas – Lilo
Georgia Cohen (Canada) – Cinnamon Dhonveli – Jetski
MonNy Sirilak (Thailand) – Halaveli – Heart
Anya Talyzin (USA) – Athuruga – Angel Wing
Sailor Moona (China) – NIYAMA – Gummy Bear
Wendy (Australia) – NIYAMA – Circles
World Toilet Day today. With a very serious message about the importance of proper sanitation. Despite the advances in the modern world, 4.5 people live without a toilet. More than half the planet. One of the aspirations of the day is to make sure that everyone has a safe toilet by 2030.
To mark the occasion, Maldives Complete has assembled a list of top toilets in the Maldives when it comes to a view of nature when nature calls…
1. CONRAD RANGALI [ABOVE]
2. SONEVA FUSHI