Even its distinctive floating furniture add to the dangling design vibe of the resort. Lots of resorts have swings, but Cocoon has them in places I’ve never seen before like the reception (see above, great for soothing the sadness of saying goodbye when waiting for your return transfer), and the bathroom (see below, not sure what this is great for…maybe to help get things moving??).
Swings in the Maldives have become as standard as the lagoon hammocks and photo spots and just as popular with the paradise-arazzi. Especially, the lagoon versions that let you rock in the cool waters like these 20 swingers…
- Shiralee Coleman (Australia) – Anantara Veli [ABOVE]
- Vivienne Hermann (United Kingdom) – Kurumba
- Ginger Swan (Russia) – Sun Island
- Alexandra Kupiec (Poland) – Vadoo
- Ludovica Pagani (Italy) – Cocoon
- Carlotta Tadolini (Italy) – Cocoon
- Kristina Krayt (Russia) – Cocoon
- Jacqueline Mikuta (Sweden) – Hurawalhi
- Natali Portman (Russia) – Anantara Dhigu
- Davika (Thailand) – Club Med Finolhu Villas
- Nicole Crimi (Canada) – Anantara Dhigu
- Jasminne Majid (Bulgaria) – Anantara Dhigu
- Erkerkja (Thailand) – Club Med Finolhu Villas
- Ana Cecília Sabbá (Brazil) –Taj Exotica
- Natallia Yakimchyk (Russia) – Reethi Rah
- Karolina Wozniak (Poland) – AaaVeee 2
- Nastya Zadorozhnaya (Russia) – Anantara Dhigu
- Sana Lantana (USA) – AaaVeee – 2
- Aleona Lynx (Russia) – AaaVeee [check link]
- Olga Storozhuk (Ukraine) – AaaVeee
Maldives National Day today. A public holiday to both relax and commemorate all things Maldivian. And few things do both better than the iconic Maldivian swing. Like a mini-hammock seat. Trust the Maldivians, in their tropical paradise, to innovate on the concept of a hammock. And trust the fashionistas to turn such a fun amenity into a Kodak moment…
- Sana Lantana and Aleona Lynx (Russia) – AaaVeee [ABOVE]
- Alina Oliinyk (Ukraine) – Maafushi
- Yana Leventseva (Thailand) – Royal
- Simona Kateivaitė (Lithuania) – Club Rannalhi
- Albina (Russia) – Meedhupparu
- Maria Milovskaya (Russia)
- Sarah-Jane Dias (India) – Four Seasons Kuda Huraa
- Honorata Skarbek (Poland)
- Lady Boss (Russia) – Kamadhoo
- Kate B. Kate (Poland) – Sun Island
- Pixie Bella (Australia) – LUX South Ari Atoll
- Karolina Wozniak (Poland) – AaaVeee
- Alessia Marcuzzi (Italy) – Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru
- Aleona Lynx (Russia) – AaaVeee
- Eryka Yar (USA) – AaaVeee
- Lydia (Poland) – Vilamendhoo
- Sylvia Matzkowiak (Germany) – LUX Maldives
- Diana Penty (India) – Four Seasons Kuda Huraa
- Son Ye-Jin (South Korea) – LUX Maldives
Kihavah King of the Swingers for Jungle VIPs.
I was particularly impressed during my stay at Anantara Kihavah that every villa was kitted out with a high quality hammock. Most resorts I have visited have communal pendulous pallets scattered across the resort. But also each villa deck has a sofa swings (see directly below).
Communal swings do abound throughout the resort with such exceptional models as their “best of” pool swing (see second below). And they even have the increasingly de rigeur lagoon swing (see bottom).
‘Best of the Maldives’ is all about extremes. And you don’t get any more extreme than One & Only Reethi Rah’s tree swing. Sort of the complete antithesis of Reethi’s workout Stott Pilates pulley swinging mechanism. A long rope means a longer, gentler undulation with a more languid rhythm reflecting the Maldives as a whole really.
Here’s a little bit of Maldivian culture for the little ones. I love checking out the resort kids clubs whether they have all manner of items shrunk down to tyke size. You will find these Maldivian classic seats throughout the Maldives, but Dusit Thani’s “Baan Sanook” kids club was the only place I’ve seen a tiny tyke version adapted for the little ones.