One of the digital darlings that I have discovered in my “lifestyle blogger” research is Vik Maldives (nee Viki Voynikova). Her videos had a very personal touch and straddled the local Maldivian life as well as some fine coverage of several resorts. I was also intrigued by her multilingual offering in both Russian and Spanish. We got in touch and she agree to this Maldives Complete exclusive interview…
- What brought you to the Maldives?
- I had been travelling around Sri Lanka when one friend suggested to visit the Maldives in March 2013. And after just a few days I got absolutely lost with this country. I came back here several times until I settled myself in the Maldives finally
- What is your day job?
- My everyday work involves checking emails, answer numerous questions about Maldives from other travelers , touch up some photos , update all the social media, edit my new video for Youtube and go for a walk with my camera to get some new shots. Also meet new tourists in the guest house where I work, give information about the island all the activities available here. I am often asked to help translate since some tourists don’t speak any English.
- What prompted you to start the vlog series?
- I’ve been travelling for quite a long time around South-East Asia and shooting video diaries only for myself and friends. But when I started to live with my Maldivian friends’ family, I realized that if I show this side of the Maldives and daily life of Maldivian family , traditions and of course my adventures in the Maldives , it might be well received by a wide spectrum of viewers. Indeed, many people are waiting impatiently for my new episodes. And sometimes they even bring me some presents when they visit the Maldives.
- How many resorts have you been to?
- I’ve visited 13 resorts
- Are you going to go any vlogs in English?
- Probably yes. Right now I am working on my development of the Russian and Spanish Youtube channels and instagram.
- You speak Russian, Spanish, English…any other languages?
- Russian, Ukrainian, Spanish , Catalan, English (and learning Dhivehi – Maldivian language)
- What’s your favourite reef you have snorkeled?
- My favorite reef is Dharavandhoo reef and the ones close to it.
You can catch Vik’s distinctively local look at Maldives life (including resorts) at…Vik can be